Compiz 0.9 landing in Rawhide

Adam Williamson awilliam at redhat.com
Mon Jan 24 03:09:19 UTC 2011

On Sun, 2011-01-23 at 06:47 +0100, Kevin Kofler wrote:
> Adam Williamson wrote:
> > Configuration from 0.8 does not migrate to 0.9. You'll have to re-do
> > your configuration. This isn't a consequence of the gconf stuff
> > mentioned above, it's just an upstream change: for all config storage
> > backends, there was a clean break from 0.8 to 0.9 and configuration is
> > not carried over. Ubuntu has some patches which attempt to migrate 0.8
> > configs to 0.9, but they're not 100% reliable and add time to each
> > startup, so they are not likely to be merged upstream, so we won't be
> > carrying them in Fedora. I'm afraid you'll have to re-do your
> > configuration with the 0.9 switch, if you have a custom compiz
> > configuration; sorry about that.
>
> I think this is really unhelpful. If Ubuntu has patches to migrate
> configuration automatically, we should ship them. It's really rude to force
> users to reconfigure everything when they upgrade to a new Fedora just
> because upstream couldn't be bothered to migrate settings properly (and I
> hate upstreams doing that).

I kind of agree, but there's a few issues. I don't entirely trust the
patches (partly *because* they're not upstream, so upstream isn't
designing things to make sure that migrating configs actually works),
the takes-time-on-every-startup issue is significant, and I would need
an exception to the 'no-non-upstreamed-patches' policy to ship those
patches.

It's also not entirely straightforward to know exactly how to set things
up to try and ensure migration, because the configuration storage
situation in Fedora's compiz packages has been 'completely screwed' for
a while. desktop-effects has two configuration settings which it applies
in gconf...but we shipped ccsm configured to change settings in the
flat-file config. We were shipping compiz-gtk in a state such that it
always ran with the gconf backend, so changes in ccsm didn't apply...but
it was a well-known bug so many people will have either changed it to
run compiz with the flat-file backend, or changed ccsm to apply changes
to gconf (I don't actually know if that was working).

Given all the above, I figured it was best to just start afresh with 0.9
and try to make sure configuration is handled better from there (which
is still kind of a WIP, BTW). I suppose it may be possible to provide
the configuration migration stuff from Ubuntu for people to run manually
if they like, I have not looked at it in detail to see if that would be
feasible.
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey