OpenMPI, Emacs and libotf problems

Adam Williamson awilliam at redhat.com
Wed Jul 6 20:09:41 UTC 2011

On Wed, 2011-07-06 at 23:02 +0300, Jussi Lehtola wrote:
> On Wed, 06 Jul 2011 12:54:48 -0700
> Adam Williamson <awilliam at redhat.com> wrote:
> > > It's certainly not the same libotf, since OpenMPI does not have
> > > *anything* to do with truetype fonts.
> > >
> > > Even though the library is installed in a non-system directory,
> > > applications that link against libotf will get an automatically
> > > generated Requires: against it anyways.
> >
> > Well, packages get an auto-generated Requires: for libotf.so.0.
> > Anything that claims to provide libotf.so.0 will satisfy this. The
> > most correct solution is simply for openmpi to stop claiming to
> > provide libotf.so.0 because, for practical purposes, it does not
> > provide it: even if the library in question were the same one,
> > openmpi's copy is not in a location that other packages will know how
> > to use, so in practical terms, it does not provide the library.
>
> .. but on the other hand, the same logic applies in the opposite sense:
> if something requires OpenMPI's libotf.so.0, also the truetype libotf
> will satisfy the requirement. (Although openmpi apps typically link to
> a half a dozen other openmpi libs as well).

Nothing really could require OpenMPI's libotf as things stand, because
of what I wrote above: nothing can find it unless it uses a custom
linker path. If OpenMPI actually wanted the library to be something
other packages can use, it should really install it in a shared path
(and, as we've already discussed, rename it). If we're just talking
about different OpenMPI packages, they can handle the intra-dependencies
manually, I'd say.
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey