systemd: Is it wrong?

Genes MailLists lists at sapience.com
Fri Jul 8 15:02:17 UTC 2011

On 07/08/2011 10:06 AM, JB wrote:

> This entry is passed to systemd for execution, as is !
> It is the responsibility of systemd to parse it, determine what entry it is
> (you could put in there any garbage, perhaps a virus, rootkit, etc), then if
> a valid executable entry then it should validate its syntax and arguments
> (are you still here, Johann ... ?!), and if not valid the entry should not be
> executed, that is aborted or error completion code returned to calling env.

  That sounds extraordinarily unreasonable to me.

  If the unit file is broken with bad input it is broken - it is not
systemd's job to detect/fix bad input to an application - it should do
what it is being asked to do and run it as per the inputs in the file.

  If the application fails due to bad input then systemd should (and
presumably does) report the failure that the application itself reports
to systemd.

  Systemd cannot possibly know what valid arguments and syntax are/might
be for every application existing and not yet written - and should not.
Thats the job of each application itself - to exit with an error if the
inputs are bad and then systemd should report that error information.

  systemd does enough - leave it alone :-)

  gene