systemd: Is it wrong?

"Jóhann B. Guðmundsson" johannbg at gmail.com
Sun Jul 10 23:31:29 UTC 2011

On 07/10/2011 11:16 PM, Genes MailLists wrote:
> On 07/10/2011 07:08 PM, "Jóhann B. Guðmundsson" wrote:
> ell variables has always had a
>>> default value of the empty string.)
>> It achieves afaict the behavior the maintainer wanted if it was up to me
>> I would have done this ( whole nfs )  completly differently....
>>
>> Dropped
>>
>> ExecStartPre=/sbin/modprobe -q lockd $LOCKDARG
>> ExecStartPre=/sbin/sysctl -w $LOCKD_TCPPORT
>> ExecStartPre=/sbin/sysctl -w $LOCKD_UDPPORT
>>
>> Completely and having administrators add and to set these values
>> manually in /etc/sysctl.conf as I mentioned in comment 30.
>>
>    I don't agree with this approach actually. Doing it this way means
> that we now have dependencies for the daemon spread into non-obvious
> places not directly associated with starting the daemon.

I'm actually working under the assumption that the administrator
actually knows what he's doing thus there are no such things to him as
non-obvious places..

>    It is much better to do this in a single place that associated with
> the daemon in question - and not have a somewhat hidden dependency in a
> generic config file.

Let's just aggree on disagreeing about this approach anyway the last
unit file I submitted does what Steve and you and perhaps many others
want's it to do afaik...

JBG