Fwd: rpm packaging: package configuration

Przemek Klosowski przemek.klosowski at nist.gov
Wed Jul 13 14:22:13 UTC 2011

On 07/13/2011 05:14 AM, Ralf Corsepius wrote:
> On 07/13/2011 10:57 AM, Olivier Sallou wrote:
>> This can be managed manually, but it would be nicer to get this managed
>> with packaging tools.
> rpm-based systems' philosophy is to let users configure their systems
> after package installations/updates, not during installation.

OK, but post-installation configuration is a serious deployment issue in
some environments; sometimes it is a legal requirement (custom login
messages, participation in enterprise account management, this kind of
thing). Doing manual tweaking on many machines is not fun---I can see
two ways of dealing with this:

  1) deployment of a configuration system like puppet
  2) private configuration packages installed after standard package
     sets, that tweak the installation

1) is preferred, but requires serious prep and setup, and in any case it
implies some additional client configuration that simply does not happen
in the standard install. Is 2) an acceptable solution to the assembled
wisdom? It doesn't seem that different to what selinux policy packages
are doing in the SELinux area.

Maybe there are other ways to approach it that worked well for
people---please comment.