Calling autoconf in a spec.

Adam Williamson awilliam at redhat.com
Fri Jul 15 18:55:23 UTC 2011

> Sam Varshavchik wrote:
> > There's a big difference between having the upstream, who knows their
> > configure script inside and out,
>
> That's a very bold assertion. ;-) Many upstream developers just copy&paste
> their configure.ac scripts together from examples or other projects without
> understanding them. The current maintainer might also not be the developer
> who wrote the scripts (who is often the only one understanding them).

Yeah, autotools stuff is very often cargo-culted. I know I'm not close
to having a _complete_ understanding of it, yet I often come across
cases where it's clear upstream has no real clue what the hell they're
doing and have just copy-and-pasted stuff together from other projects
until they got something which seemed to work.
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey