on /etc/sysconfig

Jeff Spaleta jspaleta at gmail.com
Mon Jul 18 21:14:17 UTC 2011

On Mon, Jul 18, 2011 at 12:42 PM, mike cloaked <mike.cloaked at gmail.com> wrote:
> I guess the process can be started - but by the time it is ready for
> prime time then any daemons that need to work should have been tested
> to work without the need for any /etc/sysconfig/... files - just by
> the way what then out of interest is the replacement for a
> /etc/sysconfig/desktop file that defines which login manager should be
> the default (and which is not there by default)? Can KDM then be
> started when X starts and not GDM without the use of the above file?

I don't have a ready answer for that. But instead I'll ask you a
related question.

If I have a serviced service stack which depends on some  httpd daemon
to operate correctly, and the service dependencies are generated to
make sure that one of the installed httpd daemon runs on start up. How
do I go about making sure that
one and only one of the following httpd servers of my choosing starts
up?  apache httpd or lighttpd  or cherokee

>From  a packaging standpoing  our packages use the virtual provide : webserver.

But how do we as administrators make sure that the non-default
webserver we want used is used in our init stack?  There's no
sysconfig for this is there?  There's no prefhttpd that fills the role
of the prefdm logic.

So what's the general solution for choice among equals among services
at init?  Is prefdm and /etc/sysconfig/desktop like constructions
really what we want to replicate as the best practice way of dealing
with this ?

-jef