on /etc/sysconfig

David Michael fedora.dm0 at gmail.com
Mon Jul 18 21:16:03 UTC 2011

Hi,

On Mon, Jul 18, 2011 at 4:42 PM, mike cloaked <mike.cloaked at gmail.com> wrote:
> what then out of interest is the replacement for a
> /etc/sysconfig/desktop file that defines which login manager should be
> the default (and which is not there by default)? Can KDM then be
> started when X starts and not GDM without the use of the above file?

I recently brought up this question on systemd-devel as I was
packaging a desktop environment with a display manager, and it sounded
like there would be a push to move away from prefdm itself in favor of
giving each display manager a service file.  I implemented this in the
package and switch between display managers with the following command
(with "newdm" being the selected one).

ln -fs /lib/systemd/system/newdm.service
/etc/systemd/system/display-manager.service

David