systemd vice SysV/LSB init systems - what next ?

Jeff Spaleta jspaleta at gmail.com
Wed Jul 20 15:50:36 UTC 2011

On Wed, Jul 20, 2011 at 5:43 AM, Lennart Poettering
<mzerqung at 0pointer.de> wrote:
> On Wed, 20.07.11 11:06, Nicolas Mailhot (nicolas.mailhot at laposte.net) wrote:
> I am not sure what precisely you need but systemd actually supports
> instantiated services. For example, getty at .service is instantiated 6
> times for getty at tty1.service, getty at tty2.service and so on, from a
> single service definition file. As are the fsck service or cryptsetup.
>
> Note that writing around in /usr outside of package installation is not
> acceptable, since we want to encourage usage of read-only /usr (and even /).

Just for completeness for anyone following along and needs to deal
with multi-instance init take a look at the systemd.unit manpage

specifically the paragraph starting with "Optionally, units may be
instantiated from a template file at runtime."

There is a description of the multi-instance syntax and an enumeration
of the available template variables such as %i and %I which the
existing getty multi-instance examples use.

-jef