Adding ~/.local/bin to default PATH

Genes MailLists lists at sapience.com
Tue Jul 26 19:58:55 UTC 2011

> I don't think it makes a lot of sense to have a visible directory for
> binaries. People will see that, and be annoyed.

  Perhaps, but hiding things annoys many people more ... not a huge deal
as .config is not too hidden anyway ...

> Note that there are a number of 3rd party projects making use of
> ~/.config/bin afaik, including jhbuild which installs its executable to
> that dir.

   At the moment we have apps writing to both .config and .local/share
which seems ugly to me ...  should these be merged ?

  There def seems to be a lot of stuff in .config ... but slightly
better would be

   ~/config/bin

  (not .config) and it would only contain links to

   ~/config/<app>/bin/<foo>