Installing bash-completion by default in F-16

Kevin Kofler kevin.kofler at chello.at
Sat Jun 4 03:22:03 UTC 2011

Reindl Harald wrote:
> if there is a good reason - OK
> but not if the question is to change a default-setup in a way
> existing and used proprietary will have problems which are not
> existing without an OPTIONAL change

Well, installing bash-completion by default is the best way to ensure the
incompatibility will eventually get fixed, not installing it by default is
the best way to ensure the issue will keep getting swept under the carpet.

(That said, doesn't bash-completion already have a workaround for the
problem? FWIW, I think putting workarounds into bash-completion is also a
bad idea, this needs to get fixed in Adobe Reader!)

It is not our job to work around bugs (or gratuitous incompatibilities with
long-established Free Software packages) in proprietary software.

        Kevin Kofler