Installing bash-completion by default in F-16

Ville Skyttä ville.skytta at iki.fi
Sat Jun 4 10:50:07 UTC 2011

On 06/03/2011 06:25 PM, Stanislav Ochotnicky wrote:

> Since you are asking...I have a suggestion since I've used
> bash-completion for a few years:
>  - make it modular (perhaps depending on environment variables?)
>
> why? Because some completions take a lot of time to load, as has
> already been mentioned. If users could select what modules they use
> and only load those...startup would be much faster.

The next upstream release will target bash 4.1+ only, which means that
we'll be able to take advantage of bash's new ability of loading
completions on demand.  There is no exact date set when this will
happen, but I believe it'll be done before F-16 is out.

I think this will help a lot with the initial load time, but won't alone
provide the possibility to choose which completions one wishes to use.
But I believe the latter is a minor concern, and will no longer be
necessary for decreasing the initial load time.