SYSTEMD: Give us a option for upstart

Reindl Harald h.reindl at thelounge.net
Sun Jun 12 22:16:00 UTC 2011

Am 13.06.2011 00:00, schrieb Mike Chambers:
> On Sun, 2011-06-12 at 23:23 +0200, Reindl Harald wrote:
>
>> I DO NOT NEED SYSTEMD ON 20 SERVERS HERE BECAUSE THEY ARE STARTING
>> FAST ENOUGH AND I NEED NO MAGIC WHICH THINKS KNOWS WHAT TO START
>> IN WHICH ORDER SINCE I KNOW WHAT IS RUNNING ON MY SYSTEMS
>
> Why run Fedora itself on 20 servers?

Because it works perfectly with one version behind

> Those are mission capable and in a production environment?

yes and this time on F14 but the clock goes fast around
and since F14 is not supporting the hardware of my new
work station (Intel graphics / Sandy Brdige) i have
to play around with F15

> A slower and more stable platform that
> is free might be better.

Running Fedora since F7 in production environments without
any downtime bcause the OS or any upgrade-problems showing
that i know what i do

> That's beside the point, why are you not testing upgrades and working
> out the issues yourself before even trying, in a test environment?

what do you believe what i am doing here?

the test says " i do not want this crap in this early devel-state
on my servers end of the year" nobody knows what "systemd" mislikes
on /mnt/storage because if i uncomment it the system starts without any
issue and manually mounting works

on the other hand this crap tells me the follwoing without bringing httpd up
[root at testserver:~]$ service httpd start
Starting httpd (via systemctl): [  OK  ]

[Sun Jun 12 23:30:40 2011] [error] (2)No such file or directory: could not create /var/run/httpd/httpd.pid
[Sun Jun 12 23:30:40 2011] [error] httpd: could not log pid to file /var/run/httpd/httpd.pid

well this is the F14 build of Apache but shows me that i will go to hell
if the output of "service start" is no longer trustable as years before

> Actually, if they need no magic and are fast enough, why upgrade at all
> right now and wait until everything is worked out?

because i do not update the servers, i try to bring up my test/build-environemt
to get my workstation supported which relys on the same packages as
production-servers (ffmpeg, newer httpd-versions, newer php-versions)

> Not telling you what to do, just bringing up different
> points/suggestions

i knowing my job very well and because this is so i have to upgrade
to F15 a longer time before the servers and i see NO SINGLE REASON
for systemd on a server at all!