SYSTEMD: Give us a option for upstart

Christoph Wickert christoph.wickert at googlemail.com
Mon Jun 13 15:30:30 UTC 2011

Am Montag, den 13.06.2011, 01:47 +0200 schrieb Reindl Harald:

> Am 13.06.2011 00:54, schrieb Christoph Wickert:
> > Am Sonntag, den 12.06.2011, 23:23 +0200 schrieb Reindl Harald:
> >> PLEASE give us a option for systems upgraded with yum
> >> NOT USING "systemd" and force "upstart" as before
> >
> > systems upgraded with yum still have upstart installed (I did it myself)
> > and you can select the init as a kernel parameter, so obviously nobody
> > is forced.
>
> my first test-setup had no upstart after upgrade

You did read the instructions about upgrading with yum and ran 'yum
distrosync', right?

> this is a bad user experience and shows my that "systemd" had been better
> delayed again for Fedora 16 to not repeat the bad things happended with
> the way too early incldunfig of "pulseaudio" and "KDE4.0" AND we are
> speaking here about the absolutely core-system and not a sound-daemon
> or a desktop environment

Please keep in mind that that one of Fedora's foundation is to be first.
Please read https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Foundations

Both KDE 4 and pulseaudio were ready for inclusion when we first had
them in our distribution. Software is always changing, development never
stops. If you want to move on, you need to draw a line at some point and
put it into production in order to get wider feedback. Without this
feedback neither pulseaudio nor KDE would be where they are right now.

Fedora is a distribution for early adopters. If you really need the
latest kernel for your new hardware but also long term stability please
get an enterprise distribution.

Regards,
Christoph