GNOME3 and au revoir WAS: systemd: please stop trying to take over the world :)

Genes MailLists lists at sapience.com
Mon Jun 20 17:40:04 UTC 2011

On 06/20/2011 01:22 PM, Paul Wouters wrote:

> gnome3 was not driven by user feedbak. It was driven by getting vendors
> to install it on factory shipped netbooks.

  Perhaps, tho I suspect Android won that market already ... but perhaps
its worth a shot, things can change.

> Again, I'm skipping F15 in the hopes that F16 corrects most of these
> shortcomings and provides a useful interface again to do more then
> "a single task out of a selection of 3 common tasks".

  Not sure why people would want to fiddle with 3rd party extensions
especially when the API has no guarantees of stability and the
extensions live outside the core ... you keep the pieces when it breaks.

  Did you try some of the other DE's?

  I am finding KDE surprisingly decent as an upgrade from Gnome-2 ...
and others seem to be happy with xfce or lxde ... was a shortish
learning curve but I am finding no lack of functionality in KDE that I
had in Gnome 2.

   Many Ubuntu folk are not happy with Unity either .. so perhaps the
needs will be more clear and things will improve to make things better
for you.