Need help with octave packages

Orion Poplawski orion at cora.nwra.com
Thu Mar 17 20:20:13 UTC 2011

On 03/17/2011 02:07 PM, Jerry James wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 17, 2011 at 12:00 PM, Orion Poplawski<orion at cora.nwra.com>  wrote:
>> - New octave packaging guidelines have been submitted to the FPC.  I think
>> there were some questions, but I haven't been contacted directly.
>>
>> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/PackagingDrafts/Octave
>> https://fedorahosted.org/fpc/ticket/61
>
> Thanks for doing this.  I'm currently trying to package Csdp [1],
> which comes with an Octave interface, and have been struggling with
> how to do that, since I know nothing about Octave.  That packaging
> draft really helped.  I have some minor comments on it.
>
> First, it shows that a noarch Octave package needs to BR octave-devel.
>   But it looks like octave-devel is only useful for arch-specific
> Octave packages, isn't it?  So shouldn't a noarch Octave package just
> BR octave?

Sounds correct.  Changed.

> Second, the %octave_pkg_build macro doesn't quite do what I need.  The
> Csdp sources aren't in the right structure for octave's "pkg build"
> command, so I have to move stuff around, create a DESCRIPTION file,
> etc.  The end result is that I need to do this:
>
> %octave_cmd pkg build '-verbose'
> %{_tmppath}/%{name}-%{version}-%{release}.%{_arch} csdp
>
> on a directory named "csdp" in the unpacked sources, rather than on
> %SOURCE0.  Is this unusual?  If so, perhaps there is no point in
> dealing with it.

Hmm, this really was only intended for packaging octave packages like those at
the octave forge site http://octave.sourceforge.net/.  Those do conform to the
standard for octave packages though.  Can you post a srpm?  I might be able to
rework %octave_pkg_build to have the ability to take an argument.

Also, I'm looking into moving the package location into %{_libdir}/octave and
will be renaming the %pre macro to be %octave_pkg_preun.

--
Orion Poplawski
3380 Mitchell Lane                  orion at cora.nwra.com