What's this /run directory doing on my system and where does it come from?

Nicolas Mailhot nicolas.mailhot at laposte.net
Wed Mar 30 12:44:54 UTC 2011

Le Mer 30 mars 2011 14:04, Ralf Corsepius a écrit :

> On 03/30/2011 01:54 PM, Lennart Poettering wrote:
>> Heya,
>>
>> I just uploaded a new version of systemd into F15, which establishes a
>> directory /run in the root directory. Most likely you'll sooner or later
>> stumble over it, so here's an explanation what this is and why this is.
>>
>> It's a fairly minor technical change,
>
> It's a massive FHS violation
>
> => release blocker.

The FHS is about having major distros agree about file locations, and
documenting the result. Which seems to be exactly what happened here.

Also the FHS is about progressively deprecating old quirks inherited from
complex *nix history (such as /usr/X11), and trying to converge on a simpler
consistent design. Again, this is exactly what happened.

Thank you very much Lennart for continuing the filesystem cleanup the FHS
initated but stopped doing years ago. Please make the effort to get the
changes published in a new FHS revision. It does not matter for hardcore
ditribution people, but it matters a lot for app people and ISVs.

Regards,

--
Nicolas Mailhot