What's this /run directory doing on my system and where does it come from?

Miloslav Trmač mitr at volny.cz
Wed Mar 30 18:16:44 UTC 2011

On Wed, Mar 30, 2011 at 8:08 PM, Rahul Sundaram <metherid at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 03/30/2011 11:19 PM, Adam Miller wrote:
>>
>> So we should disband FESCo and just let everyone commit whatever changes
>> they want without oversight or community inclusion and just hope it builds
>> and runs in the end?
>
> Yes,  I am sure that is the best course of action.  Can you cut out the
> needless rhetoric in response and focus on a sensible discussion?
> FESCo has a role to play but to what extend it should manage changes is
> still a open question.  If the impact is big, I can very well understand
> the need for it but this isn't a material change.  Doesn't really affect
> applications because of the bind mounting.  I would like to hear from
> you a good explanation on why FESCo should manage this change.
Perhaps FPC, not FESCo.

Since you asked, here is an explanation.

FHS does not require every RPM package to not add arbitrary
directories, but Fedora packaging guidelines do.  We have a packaging
standard.  This change violates that packaging standard, so there are
three possibilities:

1) The change is contrary to the intention of Fedora's technical
governing body and should be reverted.
2) Fedora's technical governing body agrees and the standard should be amended.
3) The standard is irrelevant and should be dropped to make life
easier for everybody.

Accepting "none of the above" as a reasonable course of action would
mean that we should actually do 3).

(End of explanation.)

I suppose Fedora packaging guidelines have this requirement to prevent
any other group of packagers, to agree on any directory they want, say
/tcl, /tetris-like-games or /dev/autoexec.bat.d.

And finally, 2) would have been by far the easiest way to go here -
bring this up to FPC, which would presumably say "Sure, no problem",
amend the guidelines, send a summary mail to fedora-devel (that,
historically, very few people react to).  Process is followed, change
is implemented, this discussion never starts (or if it does, "this
follows packaging guidelines and you are out of date" shuts it down
again).  Sure, it takes one more week.  Are we really in such a rush?
    Mirek