Is Rawhide supposed to be useful?

Michael Schwendt mschwendt at gmail.com
Wed May 11 14:17:16 UTC 2011

On Tue, 10 May 2011 10:23:08 -0600, JC wrote:

> > In the week before F15 change freeze, are you really surprised that
> > nobody's running the F16 dumping ground?
>
> I'm not talking about this week.  The X11 problem was reported three weeks
> ago, and the "don't run Rawhide" advice given to me came rather before
> that.  Rawhide has been an unusually painful place to be for some time
> now, and a lot of people, I believe, have opted out of it.

Do you have any numbers? I don't believe that "a lot of people" run
Rawhide after it has been branched for the next release of Fedora.
I don't have any numbers either, but based on bug reports and support
requests, more people take a first look at F14 these weeks (in hope
that many bugs have been ironed out), and early adopters give the F15
Alpha or Beta a try (in hope that they will arrive a F15 final without
having to reinstall that one). The majority of people will start testing
F15 when it released. The number of bug reports will increase then.