Is Rawhide supposed to be useful?

Bruno Wolff III bruno at wolff.to
Sat May 14 20:07:47 UTC 2011

On Tue, May 10, 2011 at 14:54:44 -0600,
  Jonathan Corbet <corbet-ft at lwn.net> wrote:
> On Tue, 10 May 2011 13:07:22 -0400
>
> Even then it occurred to me that, if people are being told to stay away for
> six months at a time, all is not as well as it should be.  Even just
> waiting from the time of that message until the end of the F15 distraction
> is two months of down time...
>
> Oh well, I was just wondering.  I'll stop bugging everybody now.

I don't tend to run rawhide after the branch until the final is released,
because there are enough things that break in the branched version that
I want to be running stuff there as getting brokenness there fixed before
the release is more important (to me) than future problems in rawhide.

Shortly after the release I'll start moving systems over to rawhide and
then switch the new branched release when the branch occurs. I like to have
all of my machines switched over by the alpha release. Though I need to make
sure my work machine will work well enough for me to work before I switch
it over. At times I have kernel or graphics driver problems that have kept
me from running up to date stuff on all of my machines.

I seem to do odd stuff and rawhide often breaks my stuff in a way that
gives a lot of incentive to file bug reports and help get things fixed.