9base in Fedora?

Nicolas Mailhot nicolas.mailhot at laposte.net
Mon May 23 07:54:48 UTC 2011

The correct way to do this in Fedora and in the FHS is to :

1. install libraries (and binaries? see 3.) in /usr/lib(64)

> Large software packages must not use a direct subdirectory under
>         the /usr hierarchy.

2. provide prefixed :
 —  binaries or
 — symlinks to binaries in /usr/lib(64)/foo (see 3.)

  … in /usr/bin so binaries that are intended to be executed directly by users
or shell scripts are exposed properly

>         /usr/lib includes object files, libraries, and internal binaries
>         that are not intended to be executed directly by users or shell
>         scripts.

3. eventually use alternatives to switch between prefixed implementations (as
do java for example, not that I recommand this particular can of worms it's a
packager PITA) ; this requires cooperation between all the alternative
implementation packages

If there is no wish to switch the whole system implementation then your
binaries are not “ intended to be executed directly by users or shell script ”
and the few scripts that specifically require them can set a path pointing to
/usr/lib(64)/foo

So there is no need to panic, everything is provided for in the FHS, and no
need to ask for an exception against “Large software packages must not use a
direct subdirectory under the /usr hierarchy.”

--
Nicolas Mailhot