9base in Fedora?

Matthew Miller mattdm at mattdm.org
Mon May 23 15:55:38 UTC 2011

On Mon, May 23, 2011 at 09:54:48AM +0200, Nicolas Mailhot wrote:
> 1. install libraries (and binaries? see 3.) in /usr/lib(64)
> > Large software packages must not use a direct subdirectory under
> >         the /usr hierarchy.
> 2. provide prefixed :
>  —  binaries or
>  — symlinks to binaries in /usr/lib(64)/foo (see 3.)

What about putting the binaries into /usr/bin/plan9/, instead of prefixing
each one individually? The FHS 2.3 specifies that mh binaries should go into
/usr/bin/mh, so there's precedent for subdirs there. (Not that our nmh
package follows that rule....)

Since we also already ship the environment-modules package, an env-module
for plan 9 could be included; users who want the plan 9 binaries could
either set their path manually or run "module load plan9".

This seems preferable to the "alternatives" system, since it's per-user
rather than systemwide.

--
Matthew Miller <mattdm at mattdm.org>