UID_MIN & GID_MIN changed

Garrett Holmstrom gholms at fedoraproject.org
Thu May 26 07:30:53 UTC 2011

On Wed, May 25, 2011 at 1:14 PM, Simo Sorce <simo at redhat.com> wrote:
> On Wed, 2011-05-25 at 20:04 +0000, "Jóhann B. Guðmundsson" wrote:
>> reserved/system IDs are supposed to be once that has been done we can
>> start looking at what is the best approach to implement and or fix
>> things that might break because of it.
>
> Changing the reserved id space should break "only" new allocations on
> systems that may have used the newly allocated IDs already.
> The only way to fix that is to have the admin manually intervene after
> the error is brought to his attanetion.

This affects more than just the space between the old and new
SYS_UID_MIN.  How will you ensure that accountsservice/gdm/etc
continue to enumerate preexisting user accounts with UIDs that are now
below UID_MIN?  Can this be done while simultaneously preventing
system accounts in the new range from showing up?