UID_MIN & GID_MIN changed

Simo Sorce simo at redhat.com
Thu May 26 13:00:32 UTC 2011

On Thu, 2011-05-26 at 00:30 -0700, Garrett Holmstrom wrote:
> On Wed, May 25, 2011 at 1:14 PM, Simo Sorce <simo at redhat.com> wrote:
> > On Wed, 2011-05-25 at 20:04 +0000, "Jóhann B. Guðmundsson" wrote:
> >> reserved/system IDs are supposed to be once that has been done we can
> >> start looking at what is the best approach to implement and or fix
> >> things that might break because of it.
> >
> > Changing the reserved id space should break "only" new allocations on
> > systems that may have used the newly allocated IDs already.
> > The only way to fix that is to have the admin manually intervene after
> > the error is brought to his attanetion.
>
> This affects more than just the space between the old and new
> SYS_UID_MIN.  How will you ensure that accountsservice/gdm/etc
> continue to enumerate preexisting user accounts with UIDs that are now
> below UID_MIN?  Can this be done while simultaneously preventing
> system accounts in the new range from showing up?

As far as I know GDM enumerates all users that logged in recently,
independently of where they come from and their UID number.

If this is not so a bug should be opened against GDM, as it has issue
with LDAP server that have users below 500 right now anyway.

And hopefully it does not actually list *all* users above 500, it would
be a nightmare on machines that have hundreds of users saved in local
files.

Simo.

--
Simo Sorce * Red Hat, Inc * New York