Bug 750566 - qtparted won't install because it is from F15 and requires libparted.so.0, and F16 has libparted.so.1

Kevin Kofler kevin.kofler at chello.at
Thu Nov 3 06:34:38 UTC 2011

Tom Callaway wrote:
> I took a quick look at qtparted a few days ago, the problem is that
> qtparted depended on functionality (move, copy, resize) in parted that
> no longer exists in parted-3.0.

So should we package a compat package? kde-partitionmanager is also
affected. Neither appear to have seen any movement towards parted 3
upstream.

In addition, while gparted does support parted 3, it does not support
resizing FAT or HFS partitions with that version, because there is no
replacement! (For ext* and reiserfs, there are native tools available, but
not for FAT or HFS.)

Removing features like this, without providing any kind of a replacement, is
a very unhelpful move from upstream.

        Kevin Kofler