F17 heads up: gnome-shell for everyone!

enaut enaut.w at googlemail.com
Sat Nov 5 09:08:29 UTC 2011

On 05.11.2011 01:09, Bojan Smojver wrote:
> Ian Malone <ibmalone <at> gmail.com> writes:
>
>> This is essentially giving up. It's frustrating to be stuck on
>> overview mode on a four core machine while gnome-shell is doing
>> /something/ but you don't know what. If it worked fluidly it would be
>> okay.
> For me, it goes further than that. I do not want overview mode - ever. Fast,
> slow - in any shape or form. It reduces visibility of my desktop in normal use,
> introduces kitchen sink approach to "doing something else", attacks me with
> unnecessary animations when I never asked for them etc. It's just silliness that
> should be dropped.
>
> Just look at all the extensions that sprung up:
>
> - extension to have apps menu on the top bar
> - extension to switch workspaces from the top bar
> - extension to have constant dash
>
> Essentially, extensions to have Gnome 2.
>
> PS. Yes, overview _still_ looks great on YouTube. :-)
Yet look at all the happy users of default Gnome 3!
I am one of them and I went directly from the tilling-WM Xmonad to gnome
3! So you can't say it's only for absolute noobs :). I installed it and
it took about a week to get used to it so that I stopped thinking "why
the heck did they do it" but instead started to understand the new
Concepts. Today after about a Year of usage I have to say that its the
best user interface that I ever used so far!
The only negative points that I still don't get is the removal of the
power of button (without config to change it). But yes there is an
extension to add it again!
So just because the rants are much more visible don't think it is the
majority! ;)

enaut