F17 heads up: gnome-shell for everyone!

Martin Langhoff martin.langhoff at gmail.com
Mon Nov 7 14:37:01 UTC 2011

On Thu, Nov 3, 2011 at 5:57 PM, Adam Jackson <ajax at redhat.com> wrote:
> As of tomorrow's rawhide [1], gnome-session will no longer treat
> llvmpipe as an unsupported driver.  This means gnome-shell will run even
> on hardware without a native 3D driver, including virt guests.
>
> There are probably bugs!  I've done some quick tests on the hardware I
> have handy and in kvm, and things do appear to work.

Hi Ajax!

What's the plan for rather old, limited hardware? Have you personally
got XO-1, XO-1.5 units to test? We'll be testing it (with some
trepidation) at OLPC, but it's always better if you can see it in all
its glory on your own.

We also have some hw in the pipeline that can handle OpenGLES; and
that's likely to be increasingly the case for  ARM laptops and
tablets. AFAIK, the current stack can't use OpenGLES, correct?

cheers,

 martin.langhoff at gmail.com
 - ask interesting questions