openssh-server in F16ga

Kevin Fenzi kevin at scrye.com
Wed Nov 9 22:58:16 UTC 2011

On Wed, 09 Nov 2011 22:44:34 +0100
Kevin Kofler <kevin.kofler at chello.at> wrote:

> Jóhann B. Guðmundsson wrote:
> > From my perspective it's quite the oposit as in having it enabled on
> > the dvd and instantly letting novice end users be vulnerable to ssh
> > attacks because apparently power users no longer posses the
> > knowledge on how to enable it via kickstart or otherwize....
> >
> > Atleast the Gnome Desktop team ( which control their own spin )
> > took the smart route for their end user base....
>
> AIUI, sshd is normally supposed to be enabled by default, but not on
> the live image because liveuser has an empty password.

Thats always been my understanding as well. In the spins kickstarts, we
have:

services --enabled=NetworkManager --disabled=network,sshd

I don't know if that broke in Alpha/Beta, but it's always been this way
on past live media. Perhaps we should revisit it thought... enable it,
but make sure premitemptypasswords is set for sshd (which it should be
by default).

kevin