Why does git merge have so much trouble with Fedora package branches?

Jason L Tibbitts III tibbs at math.uh.edu
Thu Nov 10 18:42:34 UTC 2011

JK> I don't believe you can delete a branch remotely, I think releng has
JK> to do it on the server.  Yes, you could still ask releng to delete a
JK> branch, then you could re-create it with the same name and have the
JK> same net effect, however we don't let developers create (nor would
JK> we delete) the top level Fedora/EPEL branches.  It'd be some other
JK> topic branch that would fall victim.

I have on a few occasions deleted branches which were mistakenly
created, including one or two top level release branches and a few
weirdly-named branches that were pushed without the maintainer realizing
that they would be permanent.  But yes, those are outliers.  SCM admins
can do it, or at least they could at one point.

 - J<