Fedora clean up process seems to be seriously broken...

"Jóhann B. Guðmundsson" johannbg at gmail.com
Tue Nov 22 17:28:24 UTC 2011

On 11/22/2011 04:51 PM, Bruno Wolff III wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 22, 2011 at 12:38:23 +0000,
>    "\"Jóhann B. Guðmundsson\""<johannbg at gmail.com>  wrote:
>> I think the only way to achieve something like this for maintainership
>> we need to drop the ownership module so either nobody owns a
>> package/component in the project or relevant SIG owns the package.
> We can already do this. People that want to help co-maintain other packages
> can ask as long as they are a packager. For packages I am the designated owner,
> I am happy to accept help.
>
> One area where we could probably do more advertising for is getting new
> packagers via the co-maintainer route. I think most of the new packagers
> still come in by packaging a new package. I think we really want most of
> the new packagers coming in as co-maintainers.

Agreed

I think the best approach is to drop the owner ship model and take up
some form of the gentoo route has Stanislav Ochotnicky previously mentioned.

Lower the barrier of entry of contributor without the need and or
introduction of an package and have them assigned to relevant SIG based
on language they either know or want to learn. ( not necessarly having
to tie packaging with code contribution )

So as an example a indvidual skilled in Java who would want to join the
project would automatically be assigned to the java SIG which in turn
would be assigned and managing all Java related components then the Java
SIG based on what ever process/workflow/skill set of the individual be
assigned what ever task is needed at current times.

So basically the barrier of entry is no higher than what the individual
wants to learn or knows already.

Do you know or want to learn python. Join the python SIG etc...

Do you want to learn distribution packaging join the Packaging SIG

Or the individual would learn how to package components relevant to the
SIG he just joined

Anyway the above is more off topic and for an "Dropping the ownership
model" proposal

JBG