A software center for Fedora

Chris Evich cevich at redhat.com
Mon Nov 28 13:09:55 UTC 2011

On 11/25/2011 06:18 PM, drago01 wrote:
> On Sat, Nov 26, 2011 at 12:16 AM, Brendan Jones
> <brendan.jones.it at gmail.com>  wrote:
>> On 11/26/2011 12:03 AM, Giovanni Campagna wrote:
>>> As promised in my previous mail, here is what I find that's lacking in
>>> Fedora, compared to the direct competition (Ubuntu, Debian, OpenSuse),
>>> and recently even some proprietary systems: we don't have an application
>>> installer.
>>
>> Are we in a race?
>
> Not sure what you are trying to say ... but the current situation
> simply sucks from a users pov.
>
> We should focus on fixing it.

I agree with others, we shouldn't "copy" the solution from other
distro's.   However I also agree that there's a common underlying
usability feature here:  New Fedora and/or Linux users not making the
leap between installing applications and installing packages (not that
they're 1:1 anyway).

In the interest of constructively addressing basic new user usability,
here's an idea-

How about a package (installed by default) that enabled the display of
all Fedora-provided GUI app. ICONS in the menu, installed or not.  Then,
if a user clicks an application that's not installed, pop up the package
installer with the set of required packages pre-selected.  i.e.
analogous to the missing-binary command-line package installer
functionality.

Perhaps there are other alternative ideas that could solve the
underlying usability issue?