tcplay: BSD-licensed alternative to TrueCrypt

Milan Broz mbroz at redhat.com
Sat Oct 8 13:11:06 UTC 2011

On 10/08/2011 04:17 AM, Rahul Sundaram wrote:
> On 10/08/2011 12:55 AM, Richard W.M. Jones wrote:
>
>> Is there any reason to use TrueCrypt, over the whole disk encryption
>> that Fedora already provides?  LUKS "just works" afaict ...
>
> Does it?  It is not easily accessible for a regular end user and is not
> cross platform.

Before this thread end in flame (as almost all discussions on this list :-)

Truecrypt on Linux uses kernel dm-crypt, so it is all mainly about
metadata format handling.

I will probably try to add alternative to cryptsetup
to handle directly Truecrypt format (which is documented on project
page, outside of source), the same way I already added loop-aes support.

For LUKS - it is cross platform, at least on Windows you can map
it using http://freeotfe.org/  and DragonFLy BSD supported it as well.

While I like Truecrypt myself, I would suggest to avoid it in distro
for license problems (as Spot already mentioned).

Milan