Firefox on Fedora: No longer funny

Adam Williamson awilliam at redhat.com
Tue Oct 11 17:51:39 UTC 2011

On Sun, 2011-10-09 at 11:14 -0600, Stephen John Smoogen wrote:
> On Sun, Oct 9, 2011 at 05:28, Christoph Wickert
> <christoph.wickert at googlemail.com> wrote:
> > Am Sonntag, den 09.10.2011, 12:58 +0200 schrieb drago01:
>

> >> That just reminds me while packing firefox extensions is not a good idea.
> >
> > How else would you install an extension globally for all users?
> >

> How many multi-user systems run firefox from them? At the university
> where I used to work we "had" this and it was awful because the tool
> itself isn't written for this use case. This was a problem in 2008..
> it hasn't gotten any better since then. Very few applications are
> written with the "old" world view of centralizing usage. It doesn't
> fit either the largest use case (one user->one device) or the newer
> "centralized" usage where items are in a cloud and gotten through a
> "portal" system. I think our old way of doing things is becoming a
> corner case to be routed around.

Yeah. FWIW I just don't use the Fedora packaged extensions; I use
adblock plus, but I install it via Firefox's add-on system, not from the
package.

I'm pretty sympathetic to Smooge's view here, Firefox just isn't really
designed for add-ons to be installed via distro packages, it seems.
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey