No guidelines for packaging of udev rules?

Bruno Wolff III bruno at wolff.to
Mon Oct 17 13:47:43 UTC 2011

On Mon, Oct 17, 2011 at 08:34:58 -0500,
  Richard Shaw <hobbes1069 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Out of curiosity I decided to see if I could package zfs from
> http://zfsonlinux.org/. One thing I noticed is that there are both
> udev rules in /lib/udev/rules.d and /etc/udev/rules.d and I could not
> find any guidelines on Fedora for what directory was appropriate.

> Do I have that correct? And does this need to be covered in the
> packaging guidelines somewhere?

>From man udev:
       The udev rules are read from the files located in the default rules
       directory /lib/udev/rules.d/, the custom rules directory
       /etc/udev/rules.d/ and the temporary rules directory
       /run/udev/rules.d/. All rule files are collectively sorted and
       processed in lexical order, regardless of the directories in which they
       live. However, files in /etc/udev/rules.d/ take precedence over files
       with the same name in /lib/udev/rules.d/; this can be used to ignore a
       default rules file if needed.