UsrMove feature

Toshio Kuratomi a.badger at gmail.com
Wed Oct 26 16:21:40 UTC 2011

On Wed, Oct 26, 2011 at 03:18:42PM +0200, Harald Hoyer wrote:
> On 10/26/2011 03:07 PM, Chris Adams wrote:
> > Once upon a time, Richard W.M. Jones<rjones at redhat.com>  said:
> >> Having said that, the split between /sbin and /bin is not a truly
> >> historical one, ie. it didn't exist in V7.  I think it was added by
> >> System V which did a lot of other strange stuff too.
> >
> > Well, historically, a bunch of system utilities were in odd places like
> > /etc and /usr/lib.  The idea of /sbin and /usr/sbin was to get compiled
> > executables out of those places (and to not clutter up the "normal" bin
> > directories with stuff users didn't need).
>
> For daemons, which should not be called directly on the command line, I
> would suggest to move them to /usr/lib/<packagename>/ anyway.

In context, at least, this is wrong advice as it's a violation of the FHS:

http://pathname.com/fhs/pub/fhs-2.3.html#PURPOSE22

"""
Purpose
/usr/lib includes object files, libraries, and internal binaries that are
not intended to be executed directly by users or shell scripts.
[..]
Specific Options

For historical reasons, /usr/lib/sendmail must be a symbolic link to
/usr/sbin/sendmail if the latter exists.
"""

The daemons and such were in places like /usr/lib to begin with.  This was
deemed to be the wrong place for them.  Instead they were placed into /sbin.

You may be quibbling over the use of "shell scripts" in that section as you
might think that daemons aren't run from shell scripts in systemd and that
illustrates that shell scripts were only an implementation detail in sysv.
In doing so, however, you miss out on "internal binaries".  A daemon
executable is the public entry point into a service so they aren't internal.

-Toshio