New bodhi bugfix release in production

Garrett Holmstrom gholms at fedoraproject.org
Wed Oct 26 16:32:27 UTC 2011

On 2011-10-25 15:17, Adam Williamson wrote:
> It's not just the updates-testing list, though. When I go to the web
> interface, search for updates to, say, grub2, get a list, and click on
> one of the results, I get an ID-based URL, not a package name-based one.
> I then paste that into an email, IRC conversation, or trac compose
> request ticket, and no-one can see what the update *is* unless they
> click on the link.

And after a few hours that link may have false information and stop
working altogether.  It doesn't even have to wait until the next push
happens.  Multi-package updates are especially fragile, as a change in
any constituent can break all existing links, invalidating browser
histories and links in bugzilla and e-mail messages.  They also lead to
links of incredible length.

Perhaps the permanence problem could be solved for the majority of cases
if bodhi were to remember the last update with which each n-v-r was
associated rather than only the n-v-rs that are currently associated
with updates.

If the change to links outside of mailing lists will also be reverted,
then instances where length matters (e.g. IRC) could be improved by
making update IDs in search results and individual update pages into
ID-based links so people at least don't have to construct them on their own.

Thoughts?