Best practices for patch management on RPM based packages?

Toshio Kuratomi a.badger at gmail.com
Tue Sep 6 14:58:43 UTC 2011

On Tue, Sep 06, 2011 at 09:16:44AM -0500, Richard Shaw wrote:
> Most of the packages I work with have very few patches so it's not all
> that difficult, but there are a couple of packages I'm working with
> that have a lot of patches and one of them has a very active upstream
> (which is a good thing!) but that also means that the patches need
> frequent adjustment.
>
> I like the idea of quilt but I can't seem to find the magic recipe to
> get it to integrate with rpmbuild.
>
> Any ideas?

I use quilt but it's not really integrated.

fedpkg clone PACKAGE
cd PACKAGE
fedpkg sources PACkAGE
quilt setup PACKAGE.spec
# Do whatever work is necessary via quilt in the tarball directory.
# If new patches were generated, add them to the spec file manually
fedpkg srpm
fedpkg scratch-build PACKAGE*srpm

-Toshio