submitters +1ing their own packages

Toshio Kuratomi a.badger at gmail.com
Wed Sep 7 15:23:31 UTC 2011

On Wed, Sep 07, 2011 at 01:38:09PM +1000, Peter Hutterer wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 06, 2011 at 07:38:53PM -0700, Adam Williamson wrote:
>
> > plus a trac ticket. Whether it has some practical effect or not, it's
> > clearly against the current policy, and what I'm questioning is whether
> > Bodhi should be enforcing that policy automatically.
>
> my argument is that even though it's against official policy, it can be
> useful in some cases. The current voluntary compliance is imo a good
> solution since it can be circumvented when needed. I'm definitely not
> advocating doing this for every update.

Then the current policy needs to be modified to show that this is
appropriate.  Otherwise there are people who follow the rules and are
disgruntled that other people are able to get away with not following them.
One aspect of policy should be to give people an understanding of how to
coexist with one another.  If the rules don't apply equally (even if that
means "The rules apply to those who feel the need to follow them and don't
apply to those who do not feel the need to do so") then the common
understanding is broken.  Getting the policy updated so that people know
that there are cases where you can +1 your own update is a better way to
build community than just letting people who feel okay about doing so
circumvent the policy when they see fit.

-Toshio