submitters +1ing their own packages

Toshio Kuratomi a.badger at gmail.com
Thu Sep 8 15:32:55 UTC 2011

On Thu, Sep 08, 2011 at 07:17:35AM -0700, Christopher Aillon wrote:
> On 09/07/2011 05:47 PM, Kevin Fenzi wrote:
>
> > As someone on the other side of this (although not strongly, I could
> > be convinced), I don't think thats my concern at all...
> >
> > * As a maintainer you should only be pushing an update you feel
> >    works/fixes something anyhow. Shouldn't that be an implied +1 always
> >    from the maintainer?
>
> Except that some maintainers build packages and submit them without
> testing them at all.

I do this when a  bugfix is worthy enough to push to multiple releases but
I only test on a subset of those releases.  That the bug has been fixed is
pretty much tested by testing on a single release.  That the fix does not
have side-effects on releases other than I'm using is only tested by the
people who run updates-testing on those other releases.

> I submit that we should be encouraging maintainers to test their builds,
> not discouraging it (which turning off selfkarma would do).

+1

> If the current rule is based on the fact that we would like 3 people to
> test besides the maintainer, we could just bump the autokarma thresshold
> from 3 to 4, and additionally encourage the maintainer to test.

Actually, we're only requiring 2 in the strictest case:

(Critpath in stable release):
# At the time of the request to stable, the update needs to have a Bodhi
  karma sum of 2 AND
# One of these positive karma points needs to be from a Proventester

(All other packages) (list is not exhaustive):
# reach the positive Bodhi karma threshold specified by the updates
  submitter
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Updates_Policy#Updates_to_.27critical_path.27_packages

I agree with you that if the idea is to get X people beyond the maintainer,
bumping the autokarma so that it is X+1 makes sense.

[snip other good points to which I have nothing to add]

-Toshio