submitters +1ing their own packages

Adam Williamson awilliam at redhat.com
Thu Sep 8 19:34:25 UTC 2011

On Thu, 2011-09-08 at 20:59 +0200, Till Maas wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 08, 2011 at 06:42:56PM +0000, "Jóhann B. Guðmundsson" wrote:
>
> > As in components flagged as base/core/critical might restrict the
> > maintainer from +1 his own component and require more stricter QA
> > oversight while components that are not flag as base/core/critical might
> > not?
>
> If a +1 from a maintainer is counted for the stable update threshold
> than the policy could just be changed to allow maintainers to push
> updates directly to stable. Because this is what will be possible, only
> that a lot of stupid interaction with Bodhi will be required. But it
> would fit the current policy that does not state clearly that any update
> submitter is allowed to push a non critpath update to stable as soon as
> the update received at least one +1 from anyone.

We're going round in circles again, as I know I've written this at least
twice in the previous threads on the topic, but: no. What Bodhi adds to
the process is accountability, an audit trail, and an easy way to manage
privileges. If we keep the Bodhi thresholds but allow maintainers to +1
their own updates, it makes it very very easy to look at a hyopthetical
future problematic update and say 'look, you +1ed this update which was
clearly broken, it went out, and caused pain to users: your +1
privileges are revoked', and actually do that, without affecting other
maintainers who are following the rules. If we just let everyone push
straight to stable, we lose that.
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey