openssh: no pre-release sanity check? [Re: ssh-to-rawhide hangs

Clyde E. Kunkel clydekunkel7734 at cox.net
Sun Sep 11 14:44:35 UTC 2011

On 09/11/2011 04:33 AM, Jim Meyering wrote:
> darrell pfeifer wrote:
>> Fails for me too, with the same error.
>
> Thanks for confirming that.
>
> I don't mean to be rude or inflammatory, but do have to wonder how such
> a fundamentally-broken package was released -- even to rawhide.  In the
> fedora openssh release process, isn't there some sort of sanity check
> that would catch this before inflicting it on all rawhide users?

Maybe there needs to be a classification for rawhide similar to the
karma system for updates-testing, but limited to just a set of packages
that should just always work (maybe openssh would be one).  For such
packages, there should be a test validation set that the maintainer runs
to automatically allow the package into rawhide.

I know in the past when such things have been discussed, some
maintainers chimed in that they do have test sets that they run on their
packages.

Doesn't have to be for all packages, just the ones that are critical or
necessary.  Yeah, defining those will be a challenge, but then what they
hey, makes life interesting.

--
Regards,
OldFart