what if native systemd service is slower than old sysvinit script?

Adam Williamson awilliam at redhat.com
Wed Sep 14 16:49:59 UTC 2011

On Wed, 2011-09-14 at 15:22 +0100, Richard W.M. Jones wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 14, 2011 at 01:03:04AM +0200, Michał Piotrowski wrote:
> > Hi
> >
> > 2011/9/13 Tom Lane <tgl at redhat.com>:
> > > (This isn't new with 9.1, btw --- the last version or so of 9.0
> > > for F16 was the same, since we switched over to native systemd
> > > files.)
> >
> > I used this service file on F15 and it starts slower
> >   4214ms postgresql.service
> >
> > if we compare with an old SysVinit script
> >   2469ms postgresql.service
> >
> > So I wonder if it makes sense to convert in such case?
> >
> > (I know that it is not about boot speed, it can start slower if needed.)
>
> Is systemd boot actually any faster?  There seems to be no
> noticable difference in boot times for me over whatever we
> were using in F14.  ie. both methods still takes ages, far
> longer than should be necessary.

At present I'd say on average not hugely. AFAIK no-one's really worked
on boot speed optimization since right after I came on board at RH:

https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Test_Day:2009-02-19

(man, it's so much harder to find test days from back when we didn't put
the subject in the page name...)

overall boot speed is a pretty chaotic equation, with a lot more than
just the init system involved. I think it's fair to say that, all other
things being equal in an ideal world, it may be possible to make things
faster with systemd than with upstart, but it's by no means a given, and
there are likely other things we can do that will have a more
significant impact on boot speeds.

We could do another such test event for F17, but to be really effective
it needs buy-in from a developer in the position to understand the
results and do something about it, like Lennart and Harald.
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey