what if native systemd service is slower than old sysvinit script?

Ralf Corsepius rc040203 at freenet.de
Thu Sep 15 05:25:21 UTC 2011

On 09/14/2011 06:23 PM, drago01 wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 14, 2011 at 5:34 PM, Ralf Corsepius<rc040203 at freenet.de>  wrote:

>> My netbook boots up F14 in ca. 60 secs, while F15 boots up in 62 secs.
>> I'd call this "below measurement accuracy".
>
> What kind of disk is that?

It's ca. 3 years old WD Scorpio Blue 160 GB ( WD1600BEVT) in a first
generation Atom N270 (32bit only) based netbook w/ 2GB RAM.

> For a mechanical drive any gain from
> parallel startup  would get killed by disk seeks.
Sure, slow disks certainly are a factor contributing to slow bootup times.

  In general, there are other factors coming into play, such as parallel
startup using more memory, parallelization not providing many advantages
on systems with a small number of CPU cores, hard synchronisation points
in the bootup process, poorly configured "services", ... and finally ...
bugs.

Anyway, some more figures: On the same machine, bootup times when
booting from a (slow) external (IDE) USB2 HD:
- Fedora 15/i386: ca. 135 secs.
- Ubuntu 11.04/i386: ca. 70 secs.

[Here bootup time: Wirst watch measured time from "grub prompt" to
"login screen"]

It shows the effect of slow disks (60secs w/ internal HD vs. 2.15
minutes w/ USB HD), but raises questions on why Ubuntu appears to be so
much faster in this configuration.

Ralf