Responsibility for rebuilding dependent components, was: F-16 Branched report: 20110920 changes

Adam Jackson ajax at redhat.com
Tue Sep 20 14:33:23 UTC 2011

On 9/20/11 10:13 AM, Ralf Corsepius wrote:
> On 09/20/2011 04:03 PM, Adam Jackson wrote:
>> I'd like to see a rationale for jamming a soname-changing update into
>> the OS so close to a release.
> Maintainers on vacation, non-trivial changes?
>
> In my case, a major change was introduced into rawhide many weeks ago,
> which had caused breakage in rawhide. One maintainer being involved was
> in vacation, another one was non-responsive.

That sounds like the kind of upheaval I'd want to keep out of a release
that's in its stabilization phase.

> Ca. 4 weeks later the issues were resolved in rawhide and we started to
> propagate these changes to f16 and where caught by the delay queues.

Of course, you had the option of not pulling the new OpenSceneGraph back
to F16, or simply not doing so yet.  Particularly during a phase where
people are trying to keep change to a minimum so we know what we're
working with.

I'm sorry that you don't understand release engineering, but since you
insist on not understanding it I don't really have any sympathy for your
packages being so visibly at fault for breakages.

- ajax