Responsibility for rebuilding dependent components, was: F-16 Branched report: 20110920 changes

Nils Philippsen nils at redhat.com
Tue Sep 20 16:00:57 UTC 2011

On Tue, 2011-09-20 at 11:45 -0400, Doug Ledford wrote:
> [...]

I'd like to mention that an upstream source getting bumped doesn't mean
anything per se, so we should rather have criteria agnostic of arbitrary
parameters like this. For instance, it shouldn't make a shred of
difference whether I apply a patch in the spec file, or upstream, all
other things being the same (i.e. if tarball-1.0 + patch == tarball-1.1
+ changes we want to have anyway like updated translations).

>  applied, did any old patches stop being applied, are the changes
> verified bug fixes as tested in rawhide, are the changes isolated or
> are there feature additions as well, will this update create
> dependency problems from things such as an soname bump, will other
> packages need to be rebuilt.

^^ This.

> Finally, the bodhi update should be reviewed by people from release
> engineering, and if the ticket meets the requirements of a reasonable
> change at this late stage of the game, the ticket should be approved
> and the package pushed to stable.
>
> The point of this process is that when stabilizing the product for GA,
> we want to minimize unnecessary or risky churn, and that doesn't need
> testing, that needs a human to make a judgement call.  Then, once the
> judgement call is made, we need as much testing as possible to make
> the release as good as possible.  Holding things up in updates-testing
> and then releasing them later throws away untold instances of testing,
> wasting those resources on a package that may never be on the final
> product.  We need to make that judgement call, put the package in if
> we are going to, test the hell out of it, and fix any breakage we
> find.  We need this iterative "test, report breakage, fix, retest"
> process to be as fast as possible, and our current process moves at
> the speed of a salt coated slug.
>
> That's my proposed process for our early branched release.  Thoughts?

Looks like it would get things done.

Nils
--
Nils Philippsen      "Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase
Red Hat               a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty