Responsibility for rebuilding dependent components, was: F-16 Branched report: 20110920 changes

Jesse Keating jkeating at j2solutions.net
Tue Sep 20 18:18:18 UTC 2011

On Sep 20, 2011, at 11:11 AM, Panu Matilainen wrote:

> My personal pet-peeve with the current branching policy is that the
> mass-branching happens way way too early for packages where there are no
> significant new development to be introduced in rawhide during branched
> state. So for every single tiny fix that needs to go in, it needs to be
> built into rawhide and also branched. Minor annoyance maybe but annoying
> things tend to get negletted - perhaps this is one of the reasons for
> rawhide lagging behind branched.

This isn't quite correct.  If you haven't built anything explicitly for Rawhide since the branch point, the stable packages from the branched repo will be inherited into rawhide.

You still should merge your changes from the branch up to master (for rawhide) but there is no reason to do a build.  Let the build system inheritance take care of that.

One change to make this better might be to move the inheritance point to updates-testing so that things built from the fresh branch are immediately inherited into rawhide.

- jlk