/tmp on tmpfs

Reindl Harald h.reindl at thelounge.net
Fri Apr 6 13:09:51 UTC 2012

Am 06.04.2012 14:58, schrieb Ralf Corsepius:
>> Brasero, k3b and
>> applications for scanning will probably need patches.
>
> No idea, what you are intending to do. These apps use huge amounts of temporary data. Amounts of data, its devs
> probably considered to be too big to be stored in memory and thus decided to store them in /tmp.
> A fully legitimate use case.
>
> Also consider that the required size of data in /tmp can very dynamic and be very different in different use-cases.
> This is a fact people often do not notice causes unexpected surprises to them (e.g. when launching some
> heavy-weight compile job).
>
>> I hope some of these bugs were fixed,
> Are you seriously calling storing temporary files into /tmp to be bugs?

this si another story where i do not understand the intention of
developers by making useless changes for non-broken things

it is NOT a bug of any application using /tmp for large files

it is a bug in the distribution put /tmp as default in RAM
why do people believe it is a solution to "fix" applications
storing their temp-files below /var/tmp

/var/tmp is for data you expect to be here ven after reboot
congratulations to the idea store temporary iso-images there
with the effect the systemdisk of many normal users starts to
get full becuse "tmpwatch" does not clean up them

everybody who thinks /tmp should be a tmpfs and beeing sure
he has enough RAm for this can do it all the time in fstab

what is the benefit/improvement making this as default?
will we start finally tell people using eclipse and firefox
on notebooks with 4 GB of RAM that this is not enough for
a modern linux-system because with the additional memory
pressure their machines starting to get unuseable?