/tmp on tmpfs

Kevin Kofler kevin.kofler at chello.at
Sat Apr 7 23:54:51 UTC 2012

Reindl Harald wrote:
> Am 06.04.2012 14:58, schrieb Ralf Corsepius:
>>> Brasero, k3b and
>>> applications for scanning will probably need patches.
>>
>> No idea, what you are intending to do. These apps use huge amounts of
>> temporary data. Amounts of data, its devs probably considered to be too
>> big to be stored in memory and thus decided to store them in /tmp. A
>> fully legitimate use case.
>>
>> Also consider that the required size of data in /tmp can very dynamic and
>> be very different in different use-cases. This is a fact people often do
>> not notice causes unexpected surprises to them (e.g. when launching some
>> heavy-weight compile job).
>>
>>> I hope some of these bugs were fixed,
>> Are you seriously calling storing temporary files into /tmp to be bugs?
>
> this si another story where i do not understand the intention of
> developers by making useless changes for non-broken things
>
> it is NOT a bug of any application using /tmp for large files
>
> it is a bug in the distribution put /tmp as default in RAM
> why do people believe it is a solution to "fix" applications
> storing their temp-files below /var/tmp
>
> /var/tmp is for data you expect to be here ven after reboot
> congratulations to the idea store temporary iso-images there
> with the effect the systemdisk of many normal users starts to
> get full becuse "tmpwatch" does not clean up them
>
> everybody who thinks /tmp should be a tmpfs and beeing sure
> he has enough RAm for this can do it all the time in fstab
>
> what is the benefit/improvement making this as default?
> will we start finally tell people using eclipse and firefox
> on notebooks with 4 GB of RAM that this is not enough for
> a modern linux-system because with the additional memory
> pressure their machines starting to get unuseable?

A big +1 to both Ralf and Harald. The more I think about the change, the
less I like it (and I never got the point in the first place). K3b is most
definitely going to be broken by it. Having to change /tmp to /var/tmp
almost everywhere is not helpful, plus if /var/tmp indeed doesn't and won't
get cleaned, that's also a problem. It might be more helpful to have the
tmpfs directory use a new namespace (/tmp/volatile or something like that)
instead of the existing and heavily-used /tmp.

        Kevin Kofler