How can we make F17 be able to boot on Macs (with or without reFit)

Adam Williamson awilliam at redhat.com
Fri Apr 27 16:21:05 UTC 2012

On Thu, 2012-04-26 at 13:34 +0100, Bastien Nocera wrote:
> On Tue, 2012-04-24 at 22:31 +0100, Matthew Garrett wrote:
> > (Note: *DO NOT* run the installer that is on this image. You'll probably
> > end up with a broken grub. Should be fixed soon)
> >
> > I've put a test image up at
> > http://mjg59.fedorapeople.org/Fedora-Mac-EFI-test.iso - this should work
> > if burned to a CD or dded to a USB stick. Insert, hold down alt, select
> > the Fedora logo. Possible outcomes:
>
> I cannot see the Fedora logo at all. I see 2 additional "EFI Boot"
> options (I would usually only see "rEFIt" and "Windows", as the firmware
> calls my Linux booting through MBR), and both of them take me to a grub
> prompt that asks me for a kernel to be loaded.
>
> MacBookAir4,1 (2011 11" one)
>
> Did you have a newer version to test?

TC1 is the current state of the art:

http://dl.fedoraproject.org/pub/alt/stage/17.TC1/

with TC1, we think, the live images written to USB with l-i-t-d (use the
very latest livecd-tools you can find) or dd should boot on at least
most Mactels. The DVD / netinst image written to USB apparently doesn't
work (though the new livecd-tools might change that).

There will be a TC2 shortly incorporating a new anaconda and built with
a new livecd-tools; TC2 written with the very latest livecd-tools
(updates are submitted for 16 and 17) should be the best we can do, and
a significant improvement for EFI / Mac booting, lots of bugs have been
squished. Additionally, it makes dd of the DVD ISO to USB 'just work' -
it will pick up the packages on the USB stick without any manual kernel
parameter addition being needed. Which is cool.

So, long story short - we'll be very interested in reports of
success/failure with TC2 (which should show up tonight or tomorrow)
written with dd or the very latest livecd-tools builds for F16/F17:
livecd-tools-16.14-1.fc16 and livecd-tools-17.10-1.fc17 .
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey