What would it take to make Software Collections work in Fedora?

Richard W.M. Jones rjones at redhat.com
Fri Dec 7 17:49:24 UTC 2012

On Fri, Dec 07, 2012 at 10:54:46AM +0100, Vít Ondruch wrote:
> In my previous job, we were developing application for our internal
> customer. During development, we were free to use any library which
> suited our needs. However, in some point, our customer was satisfied
> with functionality he had and he didn't want to spent any more money
> on development. Since that time, during maintenance, it was not any
> more my choice what library of what version I will use, since the
> system was built and running.
>
> Now suddenly, after several years, the provider wants to quit their
> services and the application needs to be migrated. That would be
> perfect case for SC, because it would allow migration with lowest
> cost.
>
> So what you would suggest? Was there any decision wrong in that process?

I think the real lesson is that platforms should take backwards
compatibility more seriously.  The single best decision that libvirt
has ever made was to promise to support the libvirt API and ABI
forever.  If you wrote a program against libvirt 0.0.1 (or whatever it
was) 7 years ago, it should still work today.

Rich.

http://et.redhat.com/~rjones/virt-df/